School Year 2017-18
President: Lionel Saquilabon
Vice President: Ingrid Kiper
Secretary: Chezza Lyn Viajar
Treasurer: Suoh Oh
Academic Chairperson: Sarah Palosa
Spiritual Enrichment & Missions Chairperson: Pearline Goh
Functions & Social Chairperson: Jairo Rodriguez Bustamante
Evangelism & Compassionate Ministry Chairperson: Arnel Jotiz
Sports Chairperson: Nangseng Sai Lin Aung
Yearbook Coordinator: GM Montecastro
Advisor: Dr. Peggy Oldham
We, the students of Asia-Pacific Nazarene Theological Seminary, acknowledging God’s grace, calling and leadership in our lives; and being aware of the privileges and responsibilities given to us by God, the Church of the Nazarene and Asia-Pacific Nazarene Theological Seminary, desire to establish an association dedicated to the cultivation of a community of Christian students which transcends all barriers, including racial, national and cultural barriers (Gal 3: 26-28; I Tim 2:5); which results in the development of God glorifying servant leadership among the students; the strengthening of the bridges of communication and co-operation between the students and the staff, faculty, and administration of Asia-Pacific Nazarene Theological Seminary; the meeting of the appropriate spiritual, social, physical, emotional and intellectual needs of all students (Luke 2:52) and the extension of the Kingdom of God through our united efforts in ministry. We believe this to be the will of God, and humbly inviting His blessing and guidance on all our endeavors, we hereby ordain, adopt and set forth as the fundamental law or constitution of the Asia-Pacific Nazarene Theological Seminary student body organization the following articles of organization and government:
ARTICLE I: ASIA-PACIFIC NAZARENE THEOLOGICAL SEMINARY STUDENT BODY ORGANIZATION (APNTS SBO)
Section 1. ORGANIZATION
This organization will be officially called Student Body Organization of APNTS (SBO). All students enrolled at APNTS are entitled to membership in the Student Body Organization. Only those Students who are currently enrolled at APNTS and who have no outstanding financial obligations to the SBO, or are not under the disciplinary action of the SBO are entitled to the privileges of voting in the SBO.
Section 2. MEMBERSHIP PRIVILEGES
Each financial member of the SBO shall enjoy the following privileges:
- to participate in the various activities organized by the Student Council or those acting on its behalf upon the payment of appropriate fees (if any);
- to attend, participate in and vote in any SBO meeting.
- to nominate, be nominated, and/or elected to any office in the SBO, providing any qualifications applying to that office are met in Article II, Section 2 at the time of election. Students enrolled only for audit are not eligible to be nominated or elected to office in the SBO;
- to attend all/any Student Council or Student Council Committee meetings. Permission to speak in such meetings can only be granted by the majority decision of the Council or Committee. The Student Council further reserves the right to exclude any person from any Student Council meeting in such exceptional circumstances must be agreed to by at least two-thirds of those Council members present and voting;
- to be represented to the Administration of APNTS by the SBO President, or some other person chosen by the Student Council should the SBO President be unavailable.
Section 3: MEMBERSHIP RESPONSIBILITIES
Believing that there cannot be privileges without responsibilities, it is expected that each member of the SBO shall co-operate with all other members of the Association in helping the SBO meet its stated objectives, by covenanting to meet the following responsibilities unless providentially hindered:
- to maintain a character and lifestyle that brings glory and honor to our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ, and reflects favorably upon the SBO, APNTS, and the Church of the Nazarene;
- to endeavor to minister to the appropriate needs of other students as God brings them to our awareness and gives us the resources or abilities, so as to help each student achieve excellence in all areas of life, but especially the spiritual and intellectual (2 Tim 2: 15);
- to faithfully attend all regularly-called SBO meetings;
- to faithfully attend and be an active and contributing member of at least one of the committees of the Student Council;
- to pay the Student Activity Fee, or any other fees as may be levied by the Student Council (with the approval of the SBO) promptly and in full to the Treasurer of the SBO or his authorized representative; (Recommendation or clarification letter addressed to the administrative body)
- to attend the various activities organized by the Student Council or by those acting on its behalf;
Section 4. MEETINGS
- The Student Council shall determine the time, date and venue of all SBO meetings including elections, and shall publicize those details and an agenda at least one week prior to all meetings. Notice of all meetings should be announced in at least two chapel meetings in the week preceding any meeting and advertised on the student bulletin board;
- At least three (3) SBO meetings must be held every semester;
- The Student Council must meet at least once every month. If there is immediate issue or matter that needs to be discussed then the council should meet more than once every month. A copy of the minutes of all student Council meetings must be publicly displayed for at least one week within fourteen (14) days of any meeting held.
- Student Council Committees must meet at least twice every year or more as deemed necessary (except during summer). Details of the meetings must be reported to the Student Council at least one week in advance, and legible written or typed minutes submitted to the Student Council at the next Student Council meeting by the Committee chairman
- No quorum is required for any meeting that is publicized in accordance with the requirements of Article I Section 4.1; the quorum shall be a simple majority of financial members living on the campus of APNTS;
- Meetings must be called to order within 15 minutes of the advertised starting time, and must commence and conclude with prayer;
The president of the SBO (or a Student Council member authorized by the Student Council) shall be the Chairman of all SBO and Student Council meetings.
- Student Council committees shall be chaired by the chairman elected by the SBO, or any person authorized by the Student Council if the elected chairperson is unable to perform his duties;
- All meetings shall be conducted in an orderly fashion;
- Accurate minutes must be taken at all meetings;
Section 5. ELECTIONS AND TERMS OF OFFICE
- Only financial members of the SBO not under the disciplinary action of the SBO shall nominate, vote for or be elected to office in the SBO;
- Any financial member of the SBO not under the disciplinary action of the SBO may nominate any other financial member who is currently enrolled for credit at APNTS and not on Academic Probation (according to APNTS catalogue), nor under the disciplinary action of the SBO to any office in the SBO. This nomination must be in writing, seconded by another financial member, and agreed to by the nominee. This written nomination must be signed by the nominator, seconder and nominee, and placed in the SBO mailbox no later than noon on the day prior to any election.
- The President and the Secretary of the SBO (or two people authorized by the Student Council in the event of their unavailability or nomination), shall publicly display the list of nominees in alphabetical order by 2:00 p.m. on that day;
- No nominations can be made during the meeting conducted for elections;
- The Student Council may also serve as nominating committee with the provision that no person serving on the nominating committee may be nominated by the committee;
- In the event that only one name is submitted for a position, a “yes/no” ballot must be conducted and a two-thirds favorable result obtained to secure election; In the event that the name submitted does not receive a two- thirds favorable vote, the Council may appoint for the position;
- In the event that no nominations are received for a position, the Student Council will be permitted to appoint someone to that position;
- Elections for the members of the Student Council must commence no earlier than the eighth week and no later than the tenth week of the second semester;
- Elections shall be by secret ballot on ballot forms provided by the Student Council;
- Only the nominating committee can remove the name of the nominees from the ballot on the basis of the stated qualification in the by laws.
No proxy or absentee voting is permitted under any circumstance. Only those financial members of the SBO present at the meeting may vote;
Only the President and Vice President nominees can also be nominated to another position. In the event that they are not elected as President or Vice-President, their names will be included in the election for members of the Student Council on the positions that they are nominated. The nomination should also be made prior to the election. Thus there will be one set election held on the same day, which is no earlier than the seventh week nor later than the ninth week of the second semester.
- The President shall be elected by at least two-thirds favorable vote of those voting. In case two-third vote for President or a simple majority for other offices is not reached during the first ballot, the second ballot will only include the top two from the first ballot. Other members of the Student Council shall be elected by at least a simple majority of those voting.
- Under no circumstance can a plurality vote be used to determine an election;
- Ballots shall be counted by at least three persons chosen by the chairman. No elections shall be conducted while ballots are being counted unless those counting are not qualified to vote;
- The full results of each ballot shall be notified in writing to the chairman of the meeting and signed by each member of the counting committee, these results shall be displayed publicly and in full by the chairman, and shall include an accounting of the total ballots cast, the number of votes necessary to elect, and the number of votes cast for each candidate;
- The term of office for the President and the other members of the Student Council shall commence at noon on the Saturday preceding the final exam week of second semester, and shall conclude twelve months later at the same time, unless otherwise provided for by the agreement of at least two- thirds of those present and voting in a meeting held for that purpose;
- Only the President and Vice-President nominees can also be nominated to another position.
- Before all elections the following statement should be posted: “Students are strongly urged to remember that APNTS is an international Christian institution. You should prayerfully elect the person who will best represent all of the students irrespective of racial, cultural, national, denominational or social background; irrespective of age or gender.”
ARTICLE II. THE STUDENT COUNCIL
Section 1. COMPOSITION OF THE STUDENT COUNCIL
- The Student Council shall be composed of the following voting members: The President, Vice-President, Secretary, and Treasurer as well as the Chairpersons of the Student Council Committees, namely Academic Enrichment, Editorial, Evangelism & Compassionate Ministries, Social & Functions, Spiritual Enrichment & Missions, and Sports.
- Other Student Council sub-committees may be created and the chairperson of those sub-committees granted membership and voting privileges on the Student Council subject to a two-thirds favorable vote of financial Association members present and voting in a meeting held for that purpose;
- Non-voting members of the Student Council may be appointed by action of the Student Council’s majority decision.
- The Administration of APNTS is invited to appoint the Dean of Students (or any other appointee) to serve as advisor to the SBO and the Student Council with vote. The faculty advisor cannot vote in student Council or SBO matters, but is welcome to attend any of the meetings.
Section 2. QUALIFICATION FOR OFFICE
Each elected or appointed officer in the SBO or member of the Student Council must meet the following qualifications at the time of nomination and election (or appointment) and must maintain these qualifications to remain in office;
- not under the disciplinary action of the Student Council or SBO;
- not under Academic Probation;
- currently enrolled for credit at APNTS;
- not under any financial obligation to SBO;
Additionally, the President and Vice-President of the SBO must be:
- One who has studied at least one year at APNTS for a degree program.
Section 3. DUTIES OF THE STUDENT COUNCIL
The Student Council shall have the responsibility of meeting the following duties:
- to plan and organize activities for members of the SBO that meet the stated objectives or to delegate their planning and /or organization to the appropriate committee or individuals;
- to represent the members of the SBO to the Administration of APNTS through the SBO President or any other authorized person;
- to implement the decisions of the SBO where such does not contravene the constitution of the SBO, the Manual of the Church of the Nazarene, or the just laws of the Republic of the Philippines;
- to make recommendations to the SBO;
- to make recommendations to the Administration of APNTS;
- to foster Christian unity among students and between students and the staff, faculty and the administration of APNTS;
- to supervise, direct and co-ordinate the activities of the various Committees of the Student Council that have been formed or may in future be formed;
- to meet at least once every month;
- to determine and publicize all details of each meeting of the Student Council and SBO in conformity with the provisions of Article I Section 4 of this Constitution;
- to publicly display a copy of the minutes of all Students Council and SBO meetings in conformity of Article I Section 4.3 of this Constitution;
- to inform the members of the SBO of any relevant decision that may affect them as soon as practicable;
- to perform any other duties as may otherwise be delegated to it by the majority decision of the members of the SBO in a meeting of that Association;
Section 4. DUTIES OF THE MEMBERS OF THE STUDENT COUNCIL
The duties of the members of the Student Council shall be as follows (failure to satisfactorily perform any or all of these duties shall be deemed sufficient grounds for removal from office subject to the procedures outlined in Article II Section 6 of this Constitution:
- to consistently fulfill the responsibilities of membership in the SBO as listed in Article I Section 3;
- to satisfactorily discharge the duties of the specific office to which elected or appointed;
- to faithfully attend each meeting of the Student Council unless providentially hindered. All anticipated absences should be made known to the President of the SBO and a written explanation transmitted to the Student Council at or before the meeting the absence coincides with;
- to submit as written report each Student Council meeting outlining all relevant duties performed on behalf of the Student Council and/or SBO, clearly indicating any failures to complete assigned tasks and suggested remedial action;
Specifically, the various members of the Student Council are responsible for the following:
A. THE PRESIDENT OF THE SBO
- To represent the interests of the SBO to the administration of APNTS to the maximum level of ability;
- to act as chairperson of all meetings of the Student Council and SBO unless ill, incapacitated or otherwise providentially hindered;
- In the event of inability to perform any or all assigned duties or tasks, to inform the Vice-President or the authorized Officer-in-Charge of the Student Council;
- to represent the SBO in whatever capacity the Student Association may be entitled to representation;
- to follow-up recommendations of the Student Council and/or SBO to the administration of APNTS and to report on their determination as soon as practicable;
- to champion and defend the privileges of the members of the SBO as God grants opportunity and ability;
- to report to the SBO whether by letter or in an SBO meeting at least one every three months on the various activities of the Student Council;
- the SBO President, the treasurer and another council member should be the signatories of cheques, documents in withdrawing money from the bank.
- to perform any other duties that may be delegated by the Student Council or SBO.
B. THE VICE-PRESIDENT OF THE SBO
- To perform the duties of the SBO President in the case of the latter’s absence, illness, incapacity or disqualification unless another person has been authorized by the Student Council or SBO to do so;
- to perform any other duties that may be delegated by the Student Council or SBO;
C. THE SECRETARY OF THE SBO
- To preserve all records, minutes and correspondence of the Student Council and SBO;
- to issue all official resolutions and communications of the Student Council and SBO to the appropriate authorized parties;
- to manage the SBO office, including the recruitment and supervision of staff;
- to keep an accurate record of attendance at all Student Council and SBO meetings, and to notify the Student Council when any person has more than one absence per year;
- to publicize any meetings of the Student Council and SBO in accordance with the provision of Article I Section 4 of this Constitution;
- to publicly display copies of the Minutes of Meetings of the Student Council and SBO in conformity with the provisions of Article I Section 4.3 of the Constitution;
- to type or ensure the typing of all minutes and their preservation in a permanent book or binder;
- to maintain the student bulletin board;
- to publicize student activities and events at the direction of the Student Council;
- to deliver to the newly elected Secretary all records, minutes and correspondence held in trust upon request of the newly-elected Secretary or within one week of the termination of office;
- to perform any other duties as may be delegated by the Student Council or SBO;
D. THE TREASURER OF THE SBO
- to keep an accurate record of the income and expenditure of the SBO, as well as the current status of all SBO accounts, and to present a written report of the same at each Student Council and SBO meeting;
- to receive and receipt all moneys owed, donated or remitted to the SBO, and to deposit it at an authorized banking institution or with some other agency authorized by the members of the SBO by the conclusion of the next working day;
- to sign with the SBO President and one other authorized signatory all cheques, documents or other instrumentalities as directed by the Student Council or SBO;
- to keep an accurate record of all SBO members who owe the SBO money at the current time, and to report the same at each Student Council meeting;
- to collect any dues, levies of fines as may be imposed on SBO members by the Student Council or SBO;
- to disburse SBO funds only at the direction of the Student Council or SBO;
- to devise ways and means of raising funds for the SBO in conformity with the Manual of the Church of the Nazarene and the just laws of the Republic of the Philippines, and recommend the same to the Student Council;
- to deliver to the newly elected Treasurer all records held in trust upon the request of the newly-elected Treasurer or within one week of the termination of office;
- to make available all financial records for audit by the auditor authorized by the Council. Auditing shall be determined by the authorized auditor and a final audit will be conducted at the end of each school year.
- to perform any other duties as may be delegated by the Student council or SBO;
E. CHAIRPERSONS OF STUDENT COUNCIL COMMITTEES
- to chair the meetings of the committee to which they were elected or appointed;
- to ensure that it meets at least twice a year as per Article I Section 4.4;
- to ensure that a committee secretary is elected by the committee and that accurate minutes of all meetings are kept and reported at the next Student Council meeting;
- to ensure that a committee treasurer is elected by the committee, and that an accurate record be kept of any funds entrusted to that committee;
- to ensure that a committee deputy chairperson is elected, and that the deputy is made aware of any anticipated absences by the chairman in advance, so that the deputy can perform the duties of the chairman unless another person has been appointed by the Student Council;
- to report the details of all committee meetings in conformity with Article I Section 4.4 of this constitution;
- to transmit all committee recommendations to the Student Council and advise the determination of same to the committee members;
- to report on the attendance at all committee meetings, and to indicate to the Student Council those who have been absent for more than one meeting;
- to supervise the activities of the members of the committee to ensure maximum achievement;
- to ensure the implementation of all Student Council or SBO decisions relating to the committee;
- to perform all duties that may be delegated or assigned by the Student Council or SBO.
Section 5. DUTIES OF THE STUDENT COUNCIL COMMITTEES
The following duties are assigned to the various Student Council Committees:
A. ACADEMIC ENRICHMENT
- to discuss, devise, and recommend appropriate policies, procedures, and programs designed to meet the academic and intellectual needs of the members of the SBO to the Student Council;
- to plan and organize academic activities as directed or approved by the Student Council or SBO;
- to manage and supervise the use of the SBO computer(s).
- To plan, produce and publish any student newsletters, journals, year book or other publications as may be authorized by the Student Council or SBO;
- to devise ways of improving communication between students, alumni, staff, faculty and administration of APNTS and recommend the same to the Student Council;
- to provide appropriate outlets for creative written expression by members of the SBO;
- to devise and recommend to the Student Council appropriate ways of funding student publications;
C. FUNCTIONS AND SOCIAL
- to build a sense of community and fellowship among the APNTS family through activities designed to meet the appropriate social needs of each individual;
- to create and conceive appropriate social activities and functions in conformity with the Manual of the Church of the Nazarene, and recommend the same to the Student Council;
- to plan and organize all social activities and functions assigned or approved by the Student Council or SBO;
D. SPIRITUAL ENRICHMENT AND MISSIONS
- to discuss and recommend activities designed to meet the spiritual needs of SBO members to the Student Council;
- to publicized any existing spiritual activities held on the APNTS campus, or likely to be of interest to SBO members;
- to evaluate all existing activities conducted at APNTS that are of a spiritual nature, and to suggest ways of improving them to the Student Council;
- to plan, co-ordinate and evaluate all activities in relation to chapel services should the administration of APNTS so allow;
- to promote the cause of world evangelization on the campus of APNTS, especially through the missionary endeavors of the Church of the Nazarene;
- to recommend and publicize books, tapes, and other resources that would increase awareness of missions;
- to recommend at least one worthy project of the missions nature to the Student Council each semester that SBO members can contribute to or support;
- to suggest appropriate ways of raising money for the Mission Project to the Student Council; The mission need should be on the Asia-Pacific Region if at all possible;
E. EVANGELISM AND COMPASSIONATE MINISTRIES
- to identify individuals, families and groups in the community surrounding APNTS who need to be led to a saving knowledge of the Lord Jesus Christ, and /or need to be incorporated into the responsible membership of a local church;
- to devise appropriate and effective means of building bridges of love and concern to those in need in the surrounding community, and recommend the same to the Student Council;
- to plan and organize such evangelistic or compassionate ministries as may be approved by the Student Council;
- to publicize and promote activities that would increase the ability of SBO members to effectively evangelize the lost;
- to identify and recommend practical ways of incarnating the compassionate love of Jesus to the Student Council;
- to build a sense of community and fellowship among students through appropriate games and sporting events;
- to promote and encourage a healthy lifestyle among students;
- to be stewards of any sporting or games that is owned by or entrusted to the SBO, and to recommend policies for their maintenance to the Student Council;
- to recommend the purchase or replacement of sports and games equipment;
- to plan and organize sporting events or activities approved by or assigned by the Student Council or SBO;
Section 6. REMOVAL FROM OFFICE
- Any member of the Student Council may be asked to resign or be removed from office for any of the following reasons: failure to satisfactorily discharge the duties of office; failure to meet the responsibilities of the SBO membership; termination of enrollment at APNTS; expulsion or suspension from APNTS; repeated absence from student Council, SBO or Student Committee meetings;
- A member of the Student Council can be removed in any of the following ways:
- A petition signed by at east 25% of the financial members of the SBO, and approved by at least two-thirds of the Student Council present and voting;
- the two-thirds decision of the Student Council Subject to a majority vote of the members of the SBO in a regularly-called meeting held for that purpose;
- in the case of a Student Council committee Chairman, by a two-thirds vote of that committee and approved by a two-thirds vote of the Student Council present and voting;
- A person removed from office can stand for re-election, providing that that person is still qualified for membership in the SBO in conformity with Article I Section 1 and Section 3 of this Constitution;
- A person is automatically removed from office if that person no longer meets all the qualifications for that office;
Section 7. FILLING VACANCIES
- In the event of a permanent vacancy in the office of the presidency of the SBO, the Vice-President shall automatically become President and shall be entitled to all the privileges and responsible for all the duties of the presidency; the position of Vice-President shall be declared vacant, and elections scheduled within two weeks;
- In the event of a permanent vacancy in the office of the Vice-President, Secretary, or Treasurer of the SBO, an election must be scheduled within two weeks in compliance with the provisions of Article 1 Section 4.;
- In the event of a permanent vacancy in the office of a Student Council Committee Chairperson, the deputy chairperson of that committee shall become chairman subject to the approval of the Student Council. In the event that the deputy chairperson is disapproved by the Student Council, an election must be scheduled within two weeks in accordance with Article I Section 4.
ARTICLE III ACCOUNTABILITY
Section 1. SBO FINANCES
- SBO fees shall be collected every semester (including summer) from each person enrolled at APNTS by the Central office staff and to be remitted to the Treasurer of the SBO. The Student Council shall determine the amount of the student activity fee upon the approval of the Student Organization and the approval of the administrative council.
- All SBO fees, dues, levies and fines shall be determined by the majority decision of the members of the SBO in a regularly called SBO meeting;
any increase in fees, dues, levies or fines must be submitted to the members of the SBO for approval;
- All moneys shall be received and issued with receipts by the treasurer of the SBO or by those authorized by the Student Council or SBO;
- Money raised or received for a designated purpose must be disbursed for such purpose only. In the event that this cannot be complied with or should the Student Council decide to disburse funds in a different manner than originally designated, the two-thirds favorable vote of the SBO members and the written permission of the donor must be first secured;
- The Student Council may decide to invest the funds of the SBO with the Administration of APNTS or elsewhere. Any change in banking arrangements requires the permission of the members of the SBO in a meeting held for the purpose;
- The Student Council may initiate fund-raising drives subject to the approval of the Student Association and in conformity with the provisions of the Manual of the Church of the Nazarene and the just laws of the Republic of the Philippines;
- All SBO funds must be deposited in a duly recognized commercial bank under three signatories. Any two of the three shall be authorized to sign any cheques or other financial instrumentalities. These should be the President, Treasurer of the SBO and another signatory decided by the Student Council.
- All financial records of the SBO must be available for inspection within 24 hours of a request by a member of the SBO;
- In the event of the dissolution of the APNTS SBO, all assets of the association (after any liabilities have been satisfied) shall be transferred to the Administration of APNTS to be invested and held in trust until such time as another SBO representing all the Student of APNTS can be organized. In the event that no such organization takes place within two years from the date of the dissolution of this SBO, all assets shall be applied to the Student Scholarship Fund of APNTS.
ARTICLE IV AMENDMENTS AND EFFECTIVITY
- This constitution may be amended, approved, revised or dissolved by a two-thirds vote of the financial members present and voting in a duly constituted and regularly called SBO meeting.
- This Constitution shall take effect upon the two-thirds vote of the members present in a duly constituted Student Body Assembly.
ARTICLE V TRANSITORY PROVISIONS
The incumbent officers and members of the Student Council shall continue to remain in office, discharge the duties and functions assigned to them until their successors shall have taken their oath.